Saturday, March 23, 2013

"Expecting a man, not a woman."

"There wasn’t much I could do during those three weeks while waiting for my luggage but during that time Maurice introduced me to the young courier for the Auvergne network. Something quite funny happened when we met. I’m sure Maurice did it on purpose. He must have told him, “Tomorrow morning we have a meeting with an agent who has just arrived.” We met in Clermont-Ferrand park. You should have seen his expression when he saw me! On the spur of the moment I didn’t understand why. Later, when I was wondering why he looked so surprised to see me there, the penny dropped -- he must have been expecting a man, not a woman!"

Excerpt from Code Name Pauline: The Memoirs of a WWII Special Agent. Pearl is also featured in the British section of Women Heroes of World War II: 26 Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Resistance, and Rescue.

No comments:

Post a Comment